Monday, June 2, 2008

Tonight we burn responsibility in the fire

It's a great day out. Not too incredibly hot in the shade. I decided it'd be a nice time to sit outside on the back porch with a stack of 7"s and some soda and get some writing done. Considering writing is what i believe i want to do with my life, for the most part, I attempt to do some additional writing on the side, usually things that will never see the light of day. I feel it keeps me from getting stale and helps keep my mind open. Mostly it's thoughts and theories involving sociology. Nerdy stuff for the most part. If anything seems interesting enough I might start posting them in here. Most of the writing doesn't even get saved though due to many reasons (mostly this weird habit i have of hating anything i produce after enough time looking at it, whether it's art or writing or music). Anyway on to more interesting things.

Over the last few days nothing horribly interesting has happened. Yesterday me and my roommate decided to go out to dinner (after my failed attempt where I got to 9th street only to find I had forgotten my wallet). So we ventured out to go to Chili's for some appetizers and desert. On the way we were discussing what to eat when suddenly I noticed two deer on the side of the road. They seemed like they would be fine because the person in front of us was almost past them and we were slowing down to an almost stop. I was wrong. One of the two deer got scared and made a mad dash for the other side of the road, apparently not seeing the SUV right next to it. It made a head first leap straight into the side of the SUV. It was a horrible noise. Sadly the deer did not receive a fatal blow but was laying on the side of the road twitching and suffering. It started to try and drag itself further into the road. Knowing we couldn't do anything we drove on because neither of us could watch this going on. We called the police though so someone would go put it out of it's suffering. Dinner was good, southwestern eggroles and buffalo wings and fried cheese followed up by desert which were little things called sweet shots which were layers of cream and chocolate pudding and cake in a shot glass. Definitely amazing.

Today again no excitement up until my decision to be outside.
Due to my lack of other things to write about i might as well write about what I'm listening to since I believe today's selection of records are all classics and should be heard by all.

First up
The Jam - Funeral Pyre

Great 7". Funeral Pyre is a very dark song in comparison to many of the Jam's songs. It's reminiscent to a more natural Joy Division, minus all the fancy effects. It still maintains some of the brightness of the Jam though. The song is based around the bass guitar and the snare and bass drum, the drums are kept very minimal and stick mostly to the snare and the kick. The guitar seems more of an accent to the music rather than being part of the structure of it. The vocals are typical for a jam song until the end where the line "in the funeral pyre watch the flames go higher" is repeated in a very dark an ominous tone with very quiet and dark vocals in the background. The song ends with only the snare and the kick drum in a sort of snare drum solo again with very indistinct dark vocals in the background. A great song. The B-side is rather lacking in comparison. The song is disguises and lacks very much in comparison to Funeral Pyre. It starts out with an effect on the guitar making every note ring out and sound very reverby (i know next to nothing about guitars and have no clue what effect it is). Again the song is based more so around the drums with the guitar only accenting what everyone else is doing. The vocals again very standard for the Jam. The drums are still very minimal using no cymbals. It's not a bad song but not a good enough reason to flip the record over instead of just listening to Funeral Pyre again.

#2
Masshysteri - s/t

Simply amazing, it deserves the huge picture of the cover because it's so good. I won't go into as much detail. Just think the Vicious......... but a million times better and in swedish. If you live under a rock and haven't listened to this yet go to their myspace and listen to them. They have both songs from the 7" and a song from their demo and one from a very limited one sided 7" released not too long ago. MASSHYSTERI

#3
Wasted Time - No Shore e.p.

A great 7" for any hardcorepunkmetalfreak. I'm very excited to get to see these guys the 12th. One of my favorite live bands. If you like hardcore punk or metal and have not listened to this get off your ass and do it now.

#4
Observers - Where I Stay
Not as good as the Walk Alone 7" but better than the Lead Pill 7".  I really love the B-side of this record.  There's something about it that seems different than most other observers songs that I just can't figure out but I like it.  It definately sounds a little more in the direction of some of the Red Dons songs on the 7".  Where I stay is also one of the songs that translated pretty well onto the Revisions LP.  I missed out on this for a long while and just recently got a copy thanks to Nick.  If you've never listened to the Observers(even though i'm sure most of you have) then i suggest you do, the LP is a good start especially since the first track is their best song.  


That's enough of that.
Other records for today that you should listen to ASAP.
Tranzmitors - Bigger houses, broken homes
Carbonas - Euro Tour EP
Autistic Youth - Empty Eyes

Go outside and enjoy the day. (I have no A/C and it's almost hotter in my house than outside in the shade so i have little choice)

And if you live in the greater raleigh area and have nothing to do then come hang out with me tonight at this 

No comments: